Authorities of Jahangirnagar University today decided to reopen all of its dormitories on June 8 and compensate the families of the two victims, who died in a road crash on May 27.
The JU syndicate took the decision at an emergency meeting on the campus this afternoon.
The authorities are yet to take any decision to withdraw the case filed against 50 students, who protested the deaths of their two fellows, reports our JU correspondent.
“We will talk to the university’s legal adviser in this regard and decide our next course of action,” said JU Registrar Abu Bakar Siddique.
Earlier in the day, JU students held a press conference where they placed a six-point demand including the withdrawal of the case filed for vandalising the vice-chancellor’s residence during a demonstration on May 27.
“We will take further steps if the syndicate meeting does not meet our demands,” Oliur Rahman Sani, a student of JU English department, said while reading out a statement at Madhur Canteen on Dhaka University campus.
“We will go for a tougher movement if the case is not immediately repealed,” he said.
The demands include reforming the probe body formed to investigate the incident with “impartial” and “acceptable” persons.
They also decided to form a human-chain on DU campus tomorrow to press home their demand.
A total of 42 JU students were detained in connection with vandalism at the university vice chancellor’s residence while protesting the death of their two fellows in a road accident on the Dhaka-Aricha highway near C&B bus stand in Savar on May 27.
JU Registrar Abu Bakkar filed the case with Ashulia Police Station on May 28 against 50 people mentioning names of 30 accused, bringing allegation that the students had carried out vandalism on the campus during the agitation.
Following the incident, the JU authorities asked all the residential students to vacate their dormitories by May 28.